Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Personality Profile: ENJF

I took the Myers-Briggs Personality Test and my psychological profile was: extroverted, intuitive, feeling, judging, with an Idealist Teacher as the final classification. While I feel that a person can never truly be put into a four square box and every quirk explained away by one simple test, I do think that such tests can give insight into the general personality of a person. These personality tests also come with a learning and writing style that I feel was mostly spot on.
Extroverts:

My learning style states that: I talk in class-volunteer, think out loud, prefer active exercises- just lecture can bore, Prefer brainstorming, oral work, have a short attention span, am able to write without needing prior planning, prefer group activities. I agree with most of these definitions. I usually volunteer in class and prefer discussion based classes to lectures. I find that if my mind is not being stimulated I usually fall asleep, this includes during lectures. I definitely have a short attention span. I cannot work on anything for a long period of time without taking stretch breaks or jamming out to a good song for a few minutes. I usually do not plan out my writing; I simply jump into it and asses the damage afterwards. But I do not usually like group activities. It seems that in a group project one or two people do all the work and everyone else sits back. If I could be in a group where everyone pulled their weight I would enjoy it. I like the fun and ideas that come from collaborating with peers and bouncing ideas off of one another.

My writing style states that: I write from lived experiences, talk out ideas before writing, leap into writing- outline later, and take breaks for outer stimulation. This is mostly correct. I often draw on my experiences to illustrate my opinion or point of view on a topic. I often write, then read back through and create an outline from what I wrote to help with organization and logical order of my thoughts. And as stated above I do take breaks for stimulation, but only after I get my thoughts on paper. Because I often write when a burst of inspiration hits me, I will sit and write and get all my ideas down before taking a break.

Intuitive:

My learning style states that: I like to look beneath the surface to find hidden meaning, language oriented, out -think selves- read between the lines, do better on essay questions, solve new problems, learn new skills, hate busy work- like problem solving, why oriented- what does it mean?, future oriented- what new idea can I come up with?, talk about ideas, habit of digressing- and that does not bother, like open-ended assignments, to interpret topics in my own way, want to explore subtleties and complexities, find it hard to work without being inspired- work with bursts of energy, can leave too many details out of lecture notes. There are two points in this that I agree with the strongest. I HATE busy work. I have a real problem with feeling like I am wasting my time. If I do not feel like whatever I am doing is beneficial to me then I resent every second of doing it. Also, I find it extremely difficult to work without being inspired. I often miss deadlines because I think over a topic until something within it inspires me, then I write.

My writing style states that I: suggest hypotheses, ideas, and implications, I create original writing patterns, conceptualize topics in different ways, explore subtleties and complexities. I'm not to sure if I do these thing or not. I know that I do not do them consciously…

Feeling:

My learning style states that: I would rather talk about values and my feelings-give human examples, I like subjective assignments- aware of audience, I am relationship oriented- like study groups, I need praise, approval, and support, I need harmony- take criticism personally, I am not so rule oriented, I like to be close to teachers- view as friend, I am more supportive than critical, and I am motivated by others. This is all pretty much true. I feel that even though I may take criticism personally in the moment, I am able to step back and take it in objectively as well. However, this is a trait I have had to learn the hard way. I don’t mind talking about my values, but my feelings are harder to put out on the table.

My writing style: I communicate personal values, enliven content with human examples, attend to the audience's reaction, and guide writing decisions by sense of flow. I do, once again, bring in a lot of examples from my past (aka: human examples). I guide my writing my sense of flow. After I write, I outline and decide what flows best- that’s the order I put the paper in, elaborating as needed.

Judging:

My learning style states that: I prefer a plan, schedule is important- want a syllabus that is all explained clearly and spelled out, I don’t like surprises- want to know exactly how grades will be determined, Need fro closure may make me finish too soon- without enough evidence or research, prefer to work on one subject at a time, and I get pleasure from finishing- persevere until I'm done. I love spontaneity and surprises in my personal life, but when it comes to my grades, expectations in the classroom, and at work, I do not like them at all. The expectations of my boss and/or professor should be laid out plainly in the beginning. If I meet the expectations, great. If not, then it will be my own fault. I always want a syllabus so I can plan out my map for the course. Once again, I want to know what will be expected. I love finishing a project or assignment. There is a definite sense of accomplishment upon completing something.

My writing style: I narrow options to decide on a topic, I follow a set schedule to completion, I work mainly on one project at a time, and I work from present conclusions. I definitely narrow the conclusions. As stated before, I will think over several different options for quite a while before I settle on any one topic. With my school work I like to complete one project at a time, whereas at my job I usually juggle three to five ongoing projects at once.

Overall, I feel like my learning and writing styles are a mixture of all of the above traits, everything stated had at least a kernel of truth in in. I definitely feel that this quiz helped me to understand more about myself than I did before. These are all things I knew on a semi-conscious level, but having them stated out made me asses them and understand how they affect me as a student and a writer.